Rice Alumni Volunteers for Admission (RAVA)
Each year, a large group of Rice alumni assist the Admission Office at Rice University in promoting Rice by talking to students across the U.S. and around the world. These volunteers provide an invaluable service, giving students an "inside" view of life at Rice through their own experiences and ongoing knowledge of Rice. Volunteer activities include being an alumni interviewer, representing Rice at college fairs as needed, and serving as a contact and resource for high school students in their communities.
RAVA currently has more than 2,000 members, and includes alumni in 50 states, 2 U.S. territories, and 43 foreign countries. If you are a Rice alumna/us and are interested in becoming a Rice Alumni Volunteer for Admission, read on.
The mission of the Rice Alumni Volunteers for Admission is to support the recruitment process, public relations goals and selection process at Rice University.
Rice Alumni Volunteers for Admission have three main goals:
- Increase public awareness of the value of the Rice experience in their area;
- Give accurate, current information to prospective students and their families;
- Provide valuable insight to the university about prospective students.
To reach the goals of the program, volunteers are involved in at least one of the following activities:
- Alumni interviewer - Provide an opportunity for prospective students in your area to have an off-campus interview and conversation with a Rice alumnae/us. Rice alumni volunteers conduct interviews from September to mid-February with concentrated efforts in the late fall and early winter. See interview information given on the
admission interviews page for prospective students.
- Representing Rice at college fairs - Promote Rice University at local college fairs for prospective students upon request by the Admission Office. These requests are on an as-needed basis throughout the academic year and usually occur when an admission counselor is unable to attend.
- Contact with prospective students - Serve as a contact and resource for students you have interviewed and encourage admitted students in your area to attend.
- Helping with local admission gatherings for prospective students - Participate in admission programs for prospective students in your area on an as-needed basis.
If you have questions about RAVA, and would like to discuss the mission and/or responsibilities of the Rice Alumni Volunteers for Admission, please contact:
Admission Office, MS 17
PO Box 1892 Houston, TX 77251-1892