Test scores are important and good scores help, but they are not an absolute criterion. Our review process looks for evidence of a student's motivation, creativity, character, unique talents, and experiences that shape the quality of life in and out of the classroom.
||Standardized Testing Requirements
|Freshman applicants for
|All freshman applicants must take either the SAT and two SAT Subject Tests in fields related to their proposed area of study, or the ACT Plus Writing test.
|Transfer applicants for
|All transfer applicants must submit an SAT or ACT Plus Writing score.
- Last applicable SAT/SAT Subject test date: November 2, 2013
- Last applicable ACT Plus Writing test date: October 26, 2013
- Last applicable TOEFL* test date: October 25, 2013
- Last applicable IELTS* test date: November 9, 2013
- Last applicable SAT/SAT Subject test date: December 7, 2013
- Last applicable ACT Plus Writing test date: December 14, 2013
- Last applicable TOEFL* test date: December 2013
- Last applicable IELTS* test date: December 14, 2013
- Last applicable SAT test date: January 25, 2014
- Last applicable ACT Plus Writing test date: February 8, 2014
- Last applicable TOEFL* test date: February 2014
- Last applicable IELTS* test date: February 2014
All scores must be sent directly from the testing organization. Rice's College Board code is 6609, our ACT code is 4152 and our TOEFL code is 6609.
Rice uses the highest scores from any sitting on the SAT in order to consider each applicant's most positive test results. Recognizing that this policy could disadvantage those students who cannot afford repeated testing or expensive test prep coaching, we believe a comprehensive testing history provides us with the appropriate context required for making a fair judgment of what the test scores mean in a holistic admission process. Therefore, we require all applicants submitting the SAT to submit all scores to Rice. The ACT does not condone splitting and combining subscores from multiple sittings, therefore, it is Rice's policy to use the highest ACT composite score in admission consideration.
* INTERNATIONAL APPLICANTS: In addition to the required tests listed above, applicants whose first language and language of instruction is not English are required to take the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) or the International English Language Testing System (IELTS). If you have received two years of school instruction in English, you are not required to submit the TOEFL or IELTS. The minimum acceptable score on the TOEFL is 600 on the paper-based test and 100 on the internet-based test. The minimum acceptable score on the IELTS is 7. Rice's TOEFL code is 6609.
Download the Freshman or Transfer Checklist for a complete list of application requirements and deadlines.