Undergraduate Admission
Rice: Unconventional Wisdom

Transfer Credit Policy

Courses taken at another regionally accredited college or university, that are appropriate to the Rice curriculum, may be approved for transfer credit toward a Rice University undergraduate degree. This includes credit for summer school courses not taken at Rice. Credit is normally given for courses that meet the following conditions:

  • equivalent to courses that are or could be offered at Rice
  • completed at a regionally accredited academic institution
  • completed with a grade of C- or better
  • taken for a grade (not taken pass/fail).

The Office of the Registrar, in conjunction with academic departments, determine whether courses are appropriate for transfer to Rice as specific Rice equivalent courses or as TRAN credit. Rice equivalent transfer credit satisfies the same university, major, minor, and distribution requirements as Rice enrollment. Rice equivalent credit usually requires departmental approval. Transfer course grades do not appear on a student’s record and have no effect on a student's Rice grade point average.

If a transfer applicant is offered admission to Rice, the Office of the Registrar will send you a preliminary evaluation of your college coursework which will show a comparison of the course taken and the comparable Rice course for credit. Details on this process may be found on the Office of the Registrar website.

Advanced Placement (AP) and International Baccalaureate (IB) Credits

Students scoring a 4 or 5 on accepted Advanced Placement (AP) exams before matriculation will receive course credit from Rice. Students who earn the International Baccalaureate (IB) diploma will receive credit for individual higher-level exams for which they receive a score of 6 or 7. Rice does not give credit for subsidiary level exams.

AP and IB credit will be listed on your transcript as the equivalent Rice course, but a grade value will not be assigned. Where applicable, credit will count toward your major and meet university distribution requirements.

In order to grant you AP or IB credit, we must receive an official score report from the testing agency. Rice's College Board code number is 6609. The Office of the Registrar will award credit based on established course and exam equivalencies. You will be notified of your credit during orientation week.

Students who have completed various international exams, other than A-Levels, may receive course credit for corresponding Rice courses. The Abitur, CAPE, CEGEP (Science Option), French Baccalauréat (Science Option), Italian Maturita, and Swiss Federal Maturity Certificate are eligible for review. The student must obtain a grade/score of at least a B or its equivalent. Students should contact the Office of the Registrar as soon as possible to begin the review process.